DENVER, COLO – Financial Planning Standards Board Ltd. (FPSB), the standards-setting body for the global financial planning profession and owner of the CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER certification program outside the United States, is pleased to announce newly-elected leaders from around the globe to serve on the FPSB Board of Directors, Council, Professional Standards Committee and Network Forums in 2023.
Andrea Middel, CFP, has been elected as FPSB Board Chairperson-elect, to serve a two-year term starting 1 April 2023. Middel is partner at DURF Financial Planners in the Netherlands and joined the FPSB Board in 2019. She currently serves as chairperson of the FPSB Professional Standards Committee, is a member of the FPSB Compensation and Succession Planning Committee and was a member of the Board of Directors of FPSB’s Dutch Affiliate, Federatie Financieel Planners, from 2012 to 2018. Middel holds a Master’s in Financial Planning from Erasmus University.
“It’s been a privilege to serve on the FPSB Board of Directors over the past three years and I look forward to continuing to support the long-term success of FPSB and the global financial planning profession as chairperson-elect with my peers on the Board,” said Middel. “As the value of, and demand for, financial planning increases, it’s an exciting time to be at the helm of an organization that is committed to establishing worldwide professional standards in financial planning and future-proofing the profession to benefit the public and the global community in the years to come.”
Beginning 1 April 2023, current Board chairperson-elect Ana Cláudia Akie Utumi will serve a two-year term as FPSB Board Chairperson succeeding Garry Muriwai, and Middel will step up as 2023 Board chairperson-elect for a two-year term.
FPSB also announced two new board members each to serve a three-year term beginning 1 April 2023:
- Caroline Dabu, Head of Wealth Distribution and Advisory Services at BMO Private Wealth in Canada, currently serves as chair of the FP Canada Foundation and was a former board member of the Financial Planning Standards Council from 2015-2018, now known as FP Canada. She holds a Bachelor of Journalism degree from Carleton University.
- Brett Millard, CFP, CIM, Regional Director of IG Wealth Management in Canada, is former director and chairperson of FP Canada’s Board from 2014 – 2021 and was a member of the FPSB Council from 2018-2020. He holds a business degree from Thompson Rivers University.
“I’m pleased to welcome Andrea, Caroline and Brett to their respective roles on the board of directors of Financial Planning Standards Board Ltd.,” said FPSB Board chairperson Garry Muriwai. “As staunch advocates for the financial planning profession, the Board looks forward to tapping into their leadership and expertise to drive our global strategy to establish financial planning as a global profession with CFP marks its symbol of excellence and support the FPSB Network and growing global community of more than 203,000 CFP professionals.”
Dabu and Millard will join six other volunteers on the FPSB Board of Directors from Australia, Brazil, Mexico, South Africa, the Netherlands and the United States.
Additional elected FPSB leadership positions include:
- Ulf Mannhardt, CFP, FPSB’s Brazil Affiliate Planejar’s liaison to FPSB, and member of the FPSB Council and FPSB Nominating Committee, will chair the FPSB Council in 2023.
- Marisa Broome, CFP, Principal at wealthadvice.com.au Pty. Ltd. and former chairperson of the Financial Planning Association of Australia and FPSB’s Regulations Advisory Panel, will join the FPSB Professional Standards Committee (PSC) in 2023. The PSC oversees the development and maintenance of global standards for the financial planning profession and FPSB’s certification requirements.
- Mark Dukers, Directeur of Federatie Financieel Planners (the Netherlands), will join the FPSB Chief Executives Committee (CEC) in 2023. The CEC works with the FPSB Board to drive execution of the FPSB Network’s annual priorities.
- Samantha Wong, CEO of Financial Planning Association of Singapore (FPAS), was re-elected to serve a three-year term on the FPSB Chief Executives Committee.
- Emer Kirk, CFP, CEO of FPSB Ireland, will chair the 2023 FPSB Europe Forum, a forum through which FPSB’s European Affiliates can explore and address issues of mutual importance.
- Hiroaki Kuroiwa, CFP, Manager of the International Operations Section and Professional Education Section of Japan Association for Financial Planners, will chair the 2023 FPSB Asia-Pacific Forum, a forum through which FPSB’s Asian Affiliates can explore and address issues of mutual importance.